Monday, September 14, 2009

Kraft Cheese in a Can


Kraft Cheese in a can, originally uploaded by jekemp.

I don't always know why I am compelled to purchase processed cheese in a can. This particular example seemed to be of some promise as it came all the way from Bahrain to join my collection of pantry oddities.

I think it may be some kind of fascination I hold for the lingering threat of the Cold War or that back in the forties and fifties cans were the future of modern food preservation and convenience. Cheese in a can is something that after the initial nuclear blast we could perhaps sit around and enjoy with saltines down in the fallout shelter.

Even with all of the sublime and elusive cheeses that I can locate here and there to enjoy, I feel there is always be a place in my foodie heart for the guilty pleasue of some processed cheese in a can. This particular food item was procured at Patel Brothers Market in Decatur.

No comments: